My favourite summer vegetable is zucchini. It’s loaded with nutrients like vitamin C, potassium, magnesium and dietary fibre. This vegetable is also very moist, so it’s very delicious. I love that zucchini is so versatile and can be used in both cooking and baking (have you tried my recipe for zucchini bread yet?). One of my go-to recipes, however, is Fried Zucchini.
Fried zucchini is similar to a tempura; the zucchini is covered in a bread batter before being fried in a pan. It may not be the healthiest way to enjoy zucchini, but it’s definitely one of the tastiest, so I make an exception every now and then.
For a family of four, I typically use two zucchini. It needs to be chopped into round slices. I typically make them just under 1/2-inch thick, so that the zucchini doesn’t get too soft while cooking, but you can make them thinner to serve more people.
My fried zucchini workstation consists of my chopped zucchini, my beaten egg, a plate of breadcrumbs, and an empty plate to put the breaded zucchini on before frying it. The ingredients are nice and basic, so this is a very easy recipe to make any time. I also keep salt and pepper on hand to season the zucchini after it is cooked.
Once I have a good amount of zucchini prepared, I fry it in a skillet with olive oil on it. I flip the zucchini when it has begun to brown, and by the time the second side is crispy, the zucchini should be slightly tender on the inside. I don’t like mine to be too mushy because it’s much harder to handle and has a tendency to break apart when serving it.
Below is my recipe for fried zucchini, and you can also download a printable version of the recipe here: Fried Zucchini Recipe.
Fried Zucchini Recipe
- 2 zucchini
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- Salt, pepper, and other spices (to taste)
- 1-3 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
- Chop the zucchini into round slices just under ½-inch thick.
- Beat the egg in a bowl.
- Spread the breadcrumbs out on a plate.
- Dip one slice of zucchini into the beaten egg, ensuring that both sides are wet. Then place the zucchini into the breadcrumbs and flip it to ensure that both of the sides and the edges are coated.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet with a small amount of olive oil. When it begins to sizzle, place the zucchini on the pan.
- Fry the zucchini until the breading begins to brown, then flip. When the zucchini begins to soften and both sides are slightly crispy, remove it from the pan.
- Use a paper towel to blot off excess oil, then season the zucchini with salt, pepper, and other spices of your choosing.
- Serve immediately but eat with caution, as the zucchini will be hot!
To see this recipe in action, check out my video tutorial on YouTube, which you can also see below.
I hope this recipe provided you with a new and tasty way to enjoy one of summer’s finest vegetables! You can look forward to more recipes from me soon!