If you’re looking for a dessert to serve at a Christmas party, Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread squares are a perfect choice. Actually, these little squares are a great choice whether you’re going to be giving them as a gift, or savouring them for yourself while relaxing by the fireplace.
So what exactly is Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread? This festive holiday dessert is filled with peppermint goodness! The base is made up of a delightful chocolate shortbread, which is topped with melted white chocolate and crushed candy canes. Not only are these super easy to make, but they also look extremely cute and taste great! There are also numerous ways to get creative with this dessert, and I’ve listed just a few below.
This video from my YouTube channel goes through a step-by-step process of how to make them, with tons of helpful tips and tricks along the way.
If you’d like to bake these Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Squares, a printable version of the recipe is available for download here.
Variations and Baking Ideas
- You can substitute dark chocolate or milk chocolate in place of the white chocolate for your topping. This will give you a double-chocolate treat!
- Try adding red or green food colouring to the topping mixture for even more of a festive look.
- For even more minty flavour, add 1/2 of a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the topping mixture.
- Consider inverting the flavours: bake a traditional shortbread base and top it with milk or dark chocolate!
- Instead of sprinkling candy canes, you can press Hershey’s Kisses into each square before they are cut. There are even Candy Cane flavoured Kisses that you could try out!
If you tried the recipe, I’d love to hear how it turned out. Leave me a comment in response to this post, or directly on my YouTube video! I also love getting new subscribers, so please check out my channel and if you like what you see, then please subscribe! 🙂
Looking for more holiday baking ideas? Consider trying out my recipe for Reindeer Noses, which I have talked about in a previous post!
Happy Baking and Happy Holidays!!