In addition to the basic clothing and accessories needed to make a Pikachu costume, it is vital to have a pair of bright yellow ears to complete the look. I made my own Pikachu ears, and they turned out great! Continue reading to learn how you can make your very own Pikachu ears for your Pikachu costume!
These Pikachu ears are very easy to make and aside from the felt, you will probably have the majority of the supplies already in your home. Take a look at my video for a step-by-step guide to making your own Pikachu ears. In addition, the materials list and template I used can be found at the bottom of this page.
To make your own Pikachu ears you will need:
- A headband
- A template for your cut-out – Use my Pikachu Ear Template or draw your own
- A piece of bright yellow felt – mine was 9″ x 12″ and that gave me more than enough felt leftover to use to cover the headband
- A marker – this will be used to draw a guide on your felt. Don’t use a pencil or pen, they won’t work.
- A pair of scissors
- Pipe cleaners – these are not necessary, but can give your ears a little extra support. I used one pipe cleaner that was cut in half.
- Cotton or stuffing – cotton balls work perfectly well, as long as you stretch it out before putting it inside the ears.
- A hot glue gun
- Black paint and a paintbrush – I used acrylic paint and mixed it with a bit of water so that it absorbed into the felt nicely. You can buy acrylic paint for around $1 or $2 at any craft store, and even at some dollar stores.
Once your Pikachu ears are complete, review the clothing and accessories that you can use to make your costume.
I hope this tutorial helped you make your very own Pikachu ears! I’d love to hear about how yours turned out, so leave me a comment below! And in case you missed it, you can download the template by clicking on the button below.